If you experience a change in your family status, you may be eligible to make changes to your current benefit elections. To make changes, you will need to fill out a Family Status Change form. Per IRS regulations, benefit changes are normally allowed only during the annual open enrollment period from October to November. However, certain changes to your family or work status, may allow you to make mid-year benefit changes. Regulations require that changes be made within 30 days of your life changing event (which is also the effective date of your benefit changes). The date of your IRS-qualified life events to change benefit elections include:
- Change in employee’s legal marital status (marriage or divorce)
- Change in number of dependents (birth, adoption, placement for adoption, or legal custody of a child)
- Change in your employment status (starts or return from a leave of absence)
- Change in spouse's employment status
- Loss or gain of other group health insurance
- Dependent meets or loses eligibility requirements
- Change in residence that affects plan eligibility.
When you have a family status change, you may change any of your benefit plans as long as the change is consistent with the family status change. For example, if you have a baby, you may add the new child to your plan, but you cannot add a spouse.
Proof of the change in family status and the appropriate change form must be faxed to 404.894.6978 or mailed to Mail Code 0435 attention: Benefits within 30 days of the event. Changes not made within 30 days of the event will have to wait until annual open enrollment.
If you are enrolling a domestic partner under the Delta Dental plan, EyeMed Vision plan, or the Unum Supplemental Spouse Life and AD&D Insurance you must apply for domestic partner benefits, the employee and domestic partner must submit a “Declaration of Domestic Partnership” and two (2) forms of approved documentation to substantiate the partnership to the Benefits Team fax at 404-894-6978.